Translate

Monday, February 2, 2015

It's a Good Life


Description: Season 3, Episode 8

Air Date: November 3, 1961

Plot Summary: After seemingly destroying the world, an omnipotent little boy terrorizes a small town.

Review: Once more we come to a classic episode and one that is often considered among the best. Since this is one of those episodes that has been discussed to death, I will spare you the usual analysis. While I do agree that this is a fantastic episode, I wouldn't put this anywhere near my top 10 list. B-b-but it's good that they made this episode! Very good! What I do love about this episode is the truly dark nature of the story, and the self-awareness of the era. At the same time, that setup for the "monster" is awesome as it is revealed that it is nothing more than a regular little boy, named Anthony. Umm...what I mean to say is...we all love Anthony. Yup. We love that boy!

They keep it ambiguous as to whether or not the world has been destroyed or whether the town has been put into a pocket universe of some sort. Regardless, everything is controlled by Anthony's will; this can include manipulating matter or distorting reality. He also knows what people are thinking so they must think good thoughts at all times. I'd recommend you do the same! If you make Anthony angry, he will kill you or send you to the cornfields--which I'm going to assume is code for straight to hell. The few people that are still alive are controlled by Anthony as we see what happens when you step out of line with the godforsaken kid--I meant...uhhh, godsend of a precious child. One of the neighbors gets drunk, talks smack, and is turned into a jack-in-the-box before going to hell; then Anthony makes it snow for the lulz. Before dying, that one neighbor implored someone to kill Anthony since it would appear he's not truly invincible; he can be hurt we know. The episode ends with Anthony continuing on his merry way with the depressing thought that everyone is stuck under his rule forever, and everyone is too cowardly to do anything about it. I can certainly understand how fans feel this episode epitomizes what TZ is all about, but it's not quite doing it for me. Maybe a top 25 episode list, sure, but not top 10 worthy. Plus, I would have killed that son of a bitch! I mean...it was good...oh shit...bye...

No comments:

Post a Comment